Sunday, February 17, 2013

Reading #6

Betsy Damon
pg. 356-363

      After reading about Betsy Damon, I have an new perspective on certain artists. This artist deserves a lot of respect for dropping the money aspect of art and by doing that she is going out in the world and trying to make a difference. She is taking the form of water and making it an art. She is looking out for the health of others and taking it upon herself to make other people’s water cleaner for their consumption. One quote that I read in her article really interested me, “The Chengdu project is an extension of my philosophy of what it takes to live on the planet, the necessity of working together, bringing together unlikely partners, and forming new relationships. It is about building new kinds of connections and relationships while grappling with the consequences of a globalized class system and the economies of dominance, possession, exploitation, and greed…Water as the source of all life can form the basis of such connection.” This quote means a lot to me because I have always felt very negatively about money and what it does to human beings. By forgetting about the money and forming relationships with people who have the same goal of you to better the environment and make a positive impact for a community is awesome. I wish more people were like this woman. I also respect her outlook on water and what a resource it is to human society. A lot of people take it for granted and it’s not right. Overall, I really enjoyed reading about Betsy Damon and found her story very interesting.





Inspiration Images







New Work

No comments:

Post a Comment